Bing Harris Building

The Bing, Harris & Co. Building was built by house the general merchants and importing firm that Mr Bing and Mr Harris established in Dunedin in 1852. In addition to importing goods they established factories in Dunedin making shirts, clothing, boots, hosiery etc. Their large three story head office on High Street was built in stages as the firm expanded. The first stage, in 1863, was the first brick building in Dunedin and was followed by further expansion in 1868, 1875 and 1880.  Bing, Harris & Co. only closed down in 2015 but it had long ago vacated its High Street residence.